In the first half of the 12th century, the Free Commune of Lubiara had a small Romanesque church built in honor of St. John the Baptist, which was legally and pastorally subject to the parish of St. Mary in Caprino. The current building is the result of expansions that took place in the 18th century and the first half of the 20th century. The elevation to Parish status dates back to July 31, 1927. Externally, the building features a façade with projecting sections facing west. The bell tower is attached to the northern side of the church. The floor plan consists of three naves separated by two rows of three columns; the main nave extends into a deep rectangular presbytery raised by one step, ending with a semicircular apse. At the conclusion of the last bay of the side naves, also raised by one step, are positioned the altars of the Immaculate Conception on the left and St. Joseph on the right. The interior walls, plastered and painted, are lined with a base of red Verona marble; narrow monophore windows and semicircular openings are arranged along the longitudinal walls and in the apse wall. The main nave is covered by a gabled roof structure with exposed wooden beams and trusses; the smaller naves are covered by a series of sail vaults punctuated by transverse ribbing; the presbytery is topped by a spherical dome with a central oculus. The flooring is made of alternating squares of red Verona marble and yellow nembro laid in diagonal courses.
Gallery
Informations
aria.location:37013 San Martino-platano VR - 37013 Caprino Veronese (VR)